Head of Engineering/Technology Lead
Who we are / What is Headstart
Headstart is on a mission to transform the way organisations hire! We are the world's first diversity driven Applicant Matching System. We use Machine Learning to transform the recruitment process, enabling clients to find high potential employees regardless of gender, ethnic status, sexual orientation or age.
As a YCombinator company, we launched in 2017 and HQ'd in London and San Francisco. We already have partnerships with some major brands globally but you can read more here: https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/24/headstart-wants-to-better-analyze-candidates-to-fit-them-with-the-best-jobs),
We are currently in the process of closing a round of funding which will take Headstart to the next phase of its development and growth. It is a truly exciting and transformational time for us - and an ideal time for you to join us!
We could tell you lots more of the glossy stuff that would be more fitting in a marketing brochure but then everyone does that don't they?! The truth is we are a small (but perfectly formed!) team taking on an almost impossible vision. We have come a long way in a very short space of time and that's down to the dynamics of the team. We are a fully transparent and open business and we try and engage everyone from across the business in all key decisions and actions, regardless of whether you are in product, operations, sales or customer success.
We treat everyone as adults as a results focussed business you have the freedom to organise your own working day and style to compliment the rest of your team. We believe people work at their best when they feel their best, both mentally and physically, so we believe in the importance of giving people autonomy and responsibility to deliver in a way that allows them to deliver their best personal and professional selves.
Having said that, it's a start up! There is never enough time and there are too many priorities. Daily! But we are lucky to have such great investors, great early adopter clients and the ability to control our own destiny. If you think you can cope with that and you fancy jumping on a rocket ship (literally) then we would like to hear from you
We have developed a B2B platform which allows companies to process large volumes of candidate applications in an efficient and fair manner using Headstart matching engine leveraging machine learning and culture/people profiling.
The platform is built for scalability using a central Node.js API / MongoDB database powering several React.js front-end applications (a corporate portal for companies to manage applicants, a candidate portal for people to apply for jobs and an internal admin portal) along with several microservices for data-science (e.g. match score calculation) and other auxiliary systems.
Our goal is to improve the current platform and we are doing this by introducing new technologies and methodologies to our development process like Domain Driven Design, Event Sourcing and Typescript. Furthermore, in order to continue scaling as our user base grows we are rethinking the current architecture and moving towards a more distributed system.
- You’re interested in new technologies and tools, but understand the rationale for choosing Boring Technology. You believe in using the right tool for the job.
- You are excited by the opportunity to lead the design, architecture and implementation of a complex and challenging B2B product.
- You enjoy and have experience leading a team of developers.
- You can make technical decisions and take ownership of them. The ability to clearly convey those decisions and their impact to anyone in the business is extremely valuable.
- You can cope with the ups and downs and daily hustle of a start up environment!
- You love the opportunity to work with machine learning scientists and experts on work culture and people.
- Demonstrable software engineering experience building enterprise applications.
- You have experience writing back-end applications in Node.js.
- You have experience with distributed systems and pub/sub architectures (using message brokers like RabbitMQ or Apache Kafka).
- Awareness of NoSQL databases, including Graph Databases
- Experience with TDD.
- Knowledge of DDD methodology.
Nice to have:
- Experience with CQRS and Event Sourcing systems
- Experience with Typescript
- DevOps mindset
- Recruitment industry experience
- Familiarity with functional programming concepts
- An awesome team of course!
- Fully flexible and remote working
- Annual team get togethers
- Unlimited holidays
- Budget for individual learning and development